Active Travel Plan – Update May 2020
The Active Travel Plan forms part of the city’s Wagga Wagga’s Integrated Transport Strategy. The key objectives of the project are to reduce the number of motor vehicles on the road and to promote and encourage more commuter cycling.
The Active Travel Plan project when completed will provide a 45km network linking residential parts of the city with the CBD and other key destinations, such as Charles Sturt University. The project will deliver a mix of asphalt concrete and concrete pathways that are predominantly separated from traffic on shared pathways or on-road separated cycle paths.
The current status of the Active Travel Project regarding works done, works awarded and works remaining is outlined below:
- 2.1km of asphalt concrete section on Red Hill Link from Yentoo Drive to Glenfield Road roundabout with line marking and drainage along with guard rail upgrade on the culvert at the roundabout
- 2.1km of asphalt concrete section on Red Hill Link from Glenfield Road roundabout to Bourke Street roundabout and along Holbrook Road to 96 Kaloona Drive with line marking and drainage, along with guard rail upgrade on the culvert.
Council awarded 26km of asphalt concrete works to Fulton Hogan Industries Pty Ltd at its Ordinary Meeting on 27 April 2020. This comprises of approximately 15km of new shared path and 11km of asphalt overlay on existing shared path in the following links:
|S.N||Link||Approx length||New section||Existing section||Works remaining|
|1||Red Hill Link||1.65km||0.97km||0.67km||Roundabout upgrades and line marking on existing service roads.
|2||Kooringal Link||6.19km||2.45km||3.74km||Roundabout upgrades and concrete sections.
|3||Bourke Link||0.45km||0.45km||Roundabout upgrades, line marking on existing service roads and concrete sections.
|4||Centre Link||3.2km||0.8km||2.4km||Roundabout upgrades and concrete sections.
|5||Wollundry Link||0.21km||0.21km||Concrete sections.
|6||University Link||8.9km||7.1km||1.8km||Only a small concrete section will remain.
|7||Kapooka Link||5.4km||4.1km||1.3km||Roundabout upgrade, level crossing, Red hill road crossing and foot bridge being done in separate package.
With the completion of the above package, Council will have finished approximately 30km of the 45 km project.
Works remaining for the project for various links to be rolled out in separate packages:
- Line Marking and signages on existing service roads – in design and to go out as line marking package of works;
- Concrete works – in design and to go out as concrete works package
- Kapooka Foot Bridge – Design completed and ready for procurement
- Roundabouts, road intersections and level crossing – in design and to go out as separate package of works
- Two end of trip facilities – Ready for procurement for design and construct
- Lighting – in design to be installed as separate package of works
Works awaiting third party approvals
The links awaiting finalisation of design due to third party approvals:
- Morgan Link – Will be concrete shared path, waiting for decision from Transport NSW on new traffic lights installation at Tarcutta Street and Morgan Street roundabout
- Forest Hill Link – Will be a mix of asphalt concrete and concrete sections and waiting for decision/approval from developers and Inland Rail