Think Tank: Council revenue
Did you know that rates and annual charges are just under half of Council’s revenue?
Different types of grants and contributions make up another quarter, with fees and charges, investments and other revenues rounding out the rest.
Additional sources of revenue help ensure Council can provide a broad range of vital services, like libraries and playgrounds.
With factors such as cost-shifting by the State Government and increases in expenses, Council is looking to the future to keep the Wagga Wagga LGA as one of the best places to live, work and play.
As the first year of the People’s Panel starts to draw to a close, we want big picture ideas to help grow our community.
This topic is more of a think tank and we want your thoughts on ways Council can increase its revenue.
Whether it’s a way to capitalise on something Council already does or a brand new concept, no idea is too big or too small.
Being such a broad topic, here’s a few talking points to get you started:
- What are your thoughts on allowing businesses to sponsor Council-owned infrastructure, such as advertising on Council vehicles?
- Should the State Government be paying rates on state-owned land?
- In the past Council has included brochures in rates notices. What are your thoughts?
- Can you think of any opportunities for partnerships with private enterprise?
- Are there any ways Council can better utilise its facilities and businesses?
You can learn more about Council's adopted budget, long-term financial plan, and fees and charges in the Document Library. If there’s anything else you’d like to take a look at, let us know. We’ll be actively involved in the discussion with you.
Consultation has concluded